Today we officially changed from Dr. “Whatever” to Dr. “Forever” – lame but that’s how I feel knowing my wife and baby will be in such good hands.
So last week I took an appointment from two of the best doctors to choose from in handling the pregnancy and labor. Our first appointment was today with Dr. Antoine Karam.
Here’s how it went:
We step into the clinic in Hamra and it’s one hell of a soothing clinic – clean, tidy and spacious. We were 20 minutes late due to horrible traffic conditions but as always everyone is completely understanding because this is an ongoing issue with everyone in Lebanon. There was no one to greet us so he came outside and called us in and explained that his assistant is out early for personal emergencies.
So we sat down and he introduced himself and the highlights that made us fall in love are as follows, he said:
- I am not your typical Lebanese doctor, I studied abroad and do things the right way – the American way!
- I care about both the mother and the baby equally to ensure they both stay healthy and safe
- I deliver in Trad Hospital, Bellevue, CMC, and a few others and have my own team handling each case accordingly
- I take insurance
- I do not accept weight gain exceeding 1.5kg per month for the mother
- I ensure the mother has a flat belly after birth
- I am available on call and Whatsapp in case of emergency
Everything he said was on point. He was calm, clean and straight to the point. It’s obvious that he is indeed one of the best in the country and his way of making us feel calm and secure was amazing!
The baby progress looked fine, echo didn’t clear if it’s a boy or a girl and that was a bit disappointing especially at 17 weeks!
By now he told us it’s time to do further testing to ensure the baby has no malformations and in good health and shape. And topped it with a request to visit the only doctor in the country who is fully capable of providing 4D echo of which it will clear out any medical doubts and also tell us the sex of the baby.. FINALLY!
That’s not all! The doctor he wanted us to see is Dr. Malek Nassar who was the second doctor I scheduled an appointment with in the first place and this coincidence by itself put us above the clouds and we finally decided Dr. Antoine to officially be our doctor now and later.
Oh! One more thing, the due date is now official on January 15th 2018. A capricorn just like the father – proud!